For this month’s workout, we invite you to play (and solve) our very first “Chicago Style” crossword puzzle.
If you prefer to play on paper, click here✏️ for a printable PDF version of the puzzle.
New to crosswords? Scroll past the puzzle for some tips (and a link to the solution). Otherwise, start playing!
- Identical clues may lead to different answers (that’s part of the fun); on the other hand, it’s unlikely that an answer will appear more than once in the grid, even with different clues.
- An answer may consist of more than one word or of an abbreviation (an abbreviation will be signaled in the clue).
- Spaces, hyphens, periods, and apostrophes are ignored in the answers, and answers are not case sensitive.
- The Check button will put an X through any wrong letter that you’ve entered.
- Use Reveal Letter to show the correct letter in the active (yellow) square.
- In most browsers, the Save button will save your work so you can come back to it later.
- Checking the box next to Pencil changes the font of the letters that you enter while the box is checked. Use this feature to enter and keep track of answers you’re not sure about.
Finally, you will note that this puzzle, unlike many crosswords, uses an asymmetrical grid and permits two-letter answers. This approach helped us to fill the puzzle almost exclusively with answers that are related to the puzzle’s editorial theme.
Ready to double-check your work? Click here ✏️ for the solution.
(Spoiler alert: Commenters may discuss the crossword and their answers!)
Puzzle by Russell Harper.